In biology, specifically in the study of proteins, there exists the term optical isomer, which means that two organic compounds can exist which are identical in every respect, yet are mirror images of each other. To paraphrase my textbook:
The existence of optical isomers is an important issue in biology. Because the structures of each optical isomer of a molecule are different, they have different functions. In cells, only the left-handed forms of amino acids exist. If the right-handed form of an amino acid is introduced into cells experimentally, it does not function normally.
Now bear with me as I relate this idea to our current political situation.
Among all of the parts of Barrack Obama’s life, certain facts are indisputable:
- He was an active member of Jeremiah Wright’s church.
- One of his patrons is Bill Ayers, the former Weather Underground leader, who made this speech in Caracas, Venezuela in 2006. Read it, but note this paragraph:
Let those of us who are gathered here today read this poem as “The Teacher’s Obligation.” We, too, must move in and out of windows, we, too, must build a project of radical imagination and fundamental change. Venezuela is poised to offer the world a new model of education– a humanizing and revolutionary model whose twin missions are enlightenment and liberation. This World Education Forum provides us a unique opportunity to develop and share the lessons and challenges of this profound educational project that is the Bolivarian Revolution.
Viva Mission Sucre!
Viva Presidente Chavez!
Viva La Revolucion Bolivariana!
Hasta La Victoria Siempre!
- He has a long-standing affiliation with, and represented legally while in private practice, ACORN, an organization that has been charged with voter fraud on multiple occasions in multiple states. As well, ACORN stood to be a major beneficiary in the initial version of the Bailout Bill, thanks to Chris Dodd.
Let’s call Obama the left-handed optical isomer. He exists, and by all accounts is on his way to victory in November.
Now imagine his mirror image. Such a person might have his life and career comprised of these facts:
- A member of Jerry Falwell’s church.
- A “casual acquaintance” of Eric Rudolph.
- Served as legal adviser and supporter of The American Civil Rights Institute.
Let’s call this imagined candidate the right-handed isomer.
Of course, such a candidate does not exist, neither in biological terms nor in political terms. Yet, it is fair to say that Barrack’s associations and relationships are of the same degree but of a different orientation. He is, in reality, further removed from the prime meridian of politics than his opponent. Yes, he is charming, suave, and glib. His opponent is a crusty curmudgeon, who can barely bring himself to shake Obama’s hand. Maybe this letter provides a clue to the reluctance. But the fact is that Obama, as defined by his choices in life, is a candidate whose very leftward tilt should be of great concern to all voters come November, 2008.